Listening to different peoples experiences made me think and I was able to draw few common key themes like :
- "Guru ji is so knowledgeable and such an eloquent speaker that just listening to him/her brings calmness".
- "Guru ji's / Spiritual Organization's satsang (chanting sessions) are so good, I feel uplifted".
- "Guru ji has great knowledge of scriptures, he is so intelligent and well read. I am so impressed with his/her speech. I never thought about this topic this way".
After hearing them, I always ask them these question -
- How is your state now?
- Do you feel the same way as you felt then?
- If you need to be in that state again, do you have the tools and techniques ?
- Do you feel that this Guru can help solve your relationship and financial issues?
- Do you feel that this Guru can guide you to achieve ultimate goal?
- Do you feel that, these events teaches you techniques that can help you achieve permanent happiness?
A lot us feel good and relaxed when we hear certain type of songs/music/movie/tv series, but once that stops we get back to our "status quo" / current state. So basically the effect of listening to these spiritual lectures and attending rock concert/watching a tv show is same.
Hopefully now you can distinguish between an Entertainer and a Guru.